Tuesday 18 November 2008

What's a podcast, and how do I get it?


A few people have asked me what a podcast is, and how they can actually get hold of them. Here's an attempt to explain both, with some heavy plagiarism... Sources plundered include Wikipedia, and Pete Cogle. I recommend the keen student visit both sites.

What is it then?

A podcast is a series of programmes - audio or video, stored as files on a server. These are distributed via the internet and can be consumed by manually downloading or streaming via a player on a website. What differentiates podcasts from any other file of this type is that, using appropriate software, you can 'subscribe' to them - ensuring that each one is downloaded to your machine as it is released. Examples of this kind of software include iTunes and Juice. A lot of podcast catcher software is free, and so are most (though not all) podcasts.

Neologists have probably already spotted that 'podcast' is a word made from two others - iPod and Broadcast. The iPod was the first portable device at which podcasts were targeted.

In recent times, Apple has been rumoured to be taking a dim view of what it sees as a misappropriation of its trademarks. This means that many objects which incorporated 'pod' in their names have renamed themselves - examples might include Juice (formerly iPodder) and Mevio (formerly BT Podshow).

I want it!

Thats good! I want you to have it! Fortunately it's easy... Over on the shownotes page (if youre reading this, youre already there) you'll see a little 'player' box on the right hand side of the screen. Just click on the episode you want to hear.

Slightly better, perhaps, is to download the show. If I have remembered, there will be a link to download the file as an MP3 at the bottom of the track listing. If not, dont worry, just go here: http://feeds.feedburner.com/MusicAndMumblings.

What I'd really like, though, is for you to subscribe, and listen to the show each week. In iTunes, you can visit the podcast directory (in the iTunes store, but don't fret - Music and Mumblings is free) and search for Music and Mumblings or The Grumbler. Either should reward you with a link to the dragon logo. If you use some other Podcatcher software, check your own instructions, and use "http://feeds.feedburner.com/MusicAndMumblings" when you're asked for a 'feed'.

What next?

Well, hopefully you just have to sit back and wait for each show, then listen and enjoy. Please feel free to leave comments by clicking on the 'comments' link at the bottom of each set of show notes. I'd like to hear what you like (so I can do more of it) and what you don't like (so I can say "It's my podcast and I'll do what I want!")

Look at some other podcasts too - I contribute to Made in the UK and the Amped podcast. There are links to some other great casts on the right of the shownotes page - PC Podcast, Suffolk'n'cool, Dark Compass and Oroborous were instrumental in encouraging me to start, and the artists who I play are just as important in encouraging me to continue... just in case you want someone to blame.

Cheers,
The Grumbler

No comments: