Friday 3 July 2009

Seething Wells

Just learned that Steven Wells - who when I saw him was called "Seething Wells" - a ranting poet has succumbed to cancer at the age of 49.

1981, I think it was - at a festival called Futurama in Stafford. We'd gone because Jah Wobble (who'd just left Public Image Ltd) was supposed to be playing. Didn't show though, so we made do with Bow Wow Wow, Simple Minds and a few others belting out their nbest efforts in a Cattle Hall which had almost totally been cleared of cowshit. Almost, but not completely. There are some pictures of that very festival here (look for Sept 6th 1981).

Seething Wells popped up at some point. A ranting skinhead up on stage decrying the 'Tetley Bittermen'. Main reason I remember it was for the line "You have to be a real man to drink Tetleys", which was funny only because it was a favourite tipple of my pal's mum.

Perhaps less earthshaking news to the music world than MJ - but somehow I preferd Well's style...

No comments: